Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mike Petriello- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness



MIKE PETRIELLO- MPETRIELLO@GMAIL.COM

Thanks for the email, Jim. This sounds like an interesting project, I'd love to know more about it if you can share some details. My answers:
1) Mike Scioscia's tragic illness started in the summer of 2007. I've been a Dodger fan since the 80s and got away from it in the late 90s once they got sold to FOX and traded away Mike Piazza (and I had better things to worry about, having gone away to college). In 2004 or so I really got back into the team, getting MLB Extra Innings for the first time (I'm not an LA native) and through posting on various Dodger message boards.

2) Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean about writing under the MSTI moniker? I'm not fiercely protective of my "secret identity", though I know some are.




3/4 are kind of the same question) The common misconception and stereotype that people have about bloggers is that are friendless nerds who write "in their underwear in the mother's basement". That's unfair; my mom doesn't have a basement, and I write in my underwear in the comfort of my own apartment, thank you. The general media tends to look upon bloggers with disdain, as though we are the great unwashed and only they, who have "paid their dues", may write. I will admit that there are plenty of bad blogs, but the good ones do outstanding work. They eloquently change people's viewpoints through education or new stats, and they can say it in a way that the newspapers can't. After all, just read a few Bill Plaschke articles. Just because he has the fancy byline doesn't mean he knows what the hell he's talking about.

5) Don't do it unless you feel as though you have an interesting viewpoint, and the interest to keep it up. There's always a new angle to any story if you're creative enough to find it, but there's no point in simply repackaging news you can find anywhere else over and over.

6) I blog because it's fun, and because I feel have something interesting to say. Even though I'm nearly 30, talking about baseball is still one of the most enjoyable things I do. I'd do it even if no one read a word. Since it's become moderately successful, it's even more enjoyable knowing that people might actually care about what I'm writing - and because it's brought me interesting opportunities. Like this one!

7) I work for a digital PR firm currently, but I've also worked for MLB.com, NESN (Red Sox TV network) and played in bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment