Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Aaron Waymire


Aaron Waymire, originally uploaded by foxsports.
AARON WAYMIRE

Jim, here are my responses. The pic is a little cheesy but it's the best I can do!

Thanks,
Aaron Waymire

1) Talk about your blog, how it started, what was your inspiration to blog?

I’ve been a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers since I was in elementary school. I can clearly remember taping games in the 1988 playoffs and watching them the next day after school. Those were the days!

I started my blog in December of 2007. At the time, blogging was starting to take off, so I figured I would give it a shot. My first post makes me laugh, but at the time it was big news: Andruw Jones signing with the Dodgers! I went on and on about how big of a difference he would make. Well, he did make a difference: he was so bad, he got run out of town.

When I first started my site, I asked myself one simple question: What would I like to see as a fan reading the site? Hence, I try to pack as much information as possible into my site. In looking at the front page, readers can see many tidbits of information, such as when the next game is, what the NL West standings are, and who’s on the 25-man roster.

My inspiration is to keep getting better each time I write, and to give Dodger fans a reason to keep coming back.

2) Why do you need to keep identity intact? ( You can make up a story or tell the truth)

I don’t hide my identity, so it’s hard for me to say. I would guess that some bloggers like to remain anonymous so they can write what they want, how they want, and not be called out for it.

3) Talk about the misconceptions people have about blogs/bloggers

The main misconception is that all bloggers are just clueless people behind a keyboard. That might be true for some people who write nonsense and post it for the rest of world, but there’s plenty of good, hardworking writers out there.



4) what are the stereotypes about blogs/bloggers that you dislike the most?

The biggest stereotypes about bloggers: we have no clue what we’re talking about, we have no idea how to write, we don’t work hard. As I said before, that may be true for plenty of people, but not me.

5) What advice would you give to someone starting thier own blog?

Here are my five tips for writing a good blog:
1) Focus on a specific subject. I once had a blog that focused on too many things, and nobody read it. Now that I just write about the Dodgers, I get people all over the world reading. Stick to one subject, and write the heck out of it.
2) Grammar counts. I’m an English teacher, so I’ll tell you the same thing I tell my middle school students. If you can’t write, then you can’t be taken seriously. You can have great opinions and all the knowledge in the world, but if you don’t learn how to write, it won’t matter.
3) Update regularly. I’m not saying you have to have multiple posts a day. Rather, you have to update at least once every few days or so, or your readers will lose interest. Even in the offseason, I still look for ways to keep Dodger fans coming back, such as trade rumors and free agent news.
4) Appearance counts. Like your writing, your site has to look visually appealing. For me, I make everything a shade of Dodger blue. If your site is ugly, then it’s a turnoff.
5) Have fun! If you ever feel that blogging is a bore, then you should stop doing it. You have to have a passion for what you do. I look forward to writing about the Dodgers in my free time. I hope that never changes.

6) Why do you blog? Is it therapy? A release?

I would say it’s a release. If the team is doing great, I love telling everyone why. If they stink, I can vent about that. With a big-market club like the Dodgers, there’s consistently worthwhile news to talk about, so it never gets old.

7) Do you have a day job? What are your hobbies outiside of your blog?

My real job is a middle school English teacher. I also coach middle school boys basketball and girls softball. Outside of that, I play slow-pitch softball pretty much year-round, in addition to pickup basketball whenever possible. I love to read and watch sports as well.

My blog is Inside Dodger Baseball at http://insidedodgers.blogspot.com/

I would love to do an interview... but I live in Binghamton, NY! So I guess that makes it a little hard to do it. I'd be happy to do a phone interview on Friday or answer any other questions on email.

My number is . I just emailed you my responses to your original questions. Let me know what else I can do to help you out. Thanks.

Aaron Waymire

No comments:

Post a Comment