Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DUCKSANDPUCKS


DUCKSANDPUCKS, originally uploaded by foxsports.
Dear Jim,

I can't thank you enough for this opportunity. I apologize for the tardiness of this response. Pasted below is my response to your questions and attached you will find a photo for my blog logo at DUCKSandPUCKS.com.
Let me know if there is anything else that you need, and I hope this works well for you!
Thank you again!
SK

1) Talk about your blog, how it started, what was your inspiration to blog?
A few years ago, when I feel deeply in love with hockey, I discovered there was no one to talk about it with in Anaheim. We're not exactly talking about a hot hockey market here. My best friends are hockey fans and they are the reason that I discovered the game in the first place, but they didn't want to hear me talk about it for hours on end, or at least I assumed. With no one to talk hockey with, there was only one place to turn…the Internet. I began blogging with another hockey fan, and before I knew it I was in love with blogging about hockey too.
2) Why do you need to keep identity intact? (You can make up a story or tell the truth)
The identity of the blog, the person, the work, is all in the weight of the words. It's important not only to make the words flow, but to make the message flow. If you don't know what you're talking about and you can't stand behind your words - it's impossible to have anyone care or embrace what you have to say. The important thing to remember is that what you put on the Internet is out there...forever. So stand behind your words and chose them wisely. Realize that if you're going to talk about what you think the players were doing at the club last weekend, then people are going to equate that with your work in the future. For me, I live by the motto, if it happens on the ice, its fair game. I'm here to talk about the game and the team, not their personal lives. Hockey tends to have a very devout following of fans and another group called "puck bunnies". In addition to fan blogs, there are a lot of puck bunny blogs. For me, to keep that identity, that I'm a FAN of the sport, is very important



3) Talk about the misconceptions people have about blogs/bloggers
I think the biggest misconception is that we don't know what we're talking about. I'll admit, I've read A LOTof really bad blogs, and then again, I've read some amazing work. The important thing to remember when reading blogs is that the good ones convey a message and inspire thought from their readers. The best are defined by opinion and an intelligent thought process. Bloggers want a discussion, we want someone to talk to about our thoughts and we're trying to get as many people involved as possible. The next time you read a genuinely good blog and you don't agree, post a comment! The writer would love to hear your side of things. It's why we do this in the first place. I'd be surprised if anyone said they hate negative comments. Comments are part of the discussion, we love to talk about our sport...it's why we spend so much time writing about it in the first place.
4) What are the stereotypes about blogs/bloggers that you dislike the most?
That we live in our parents basements and we have nothing better to do with our time than talk about other people. Funny thing is, the best bloggers I know are educated, have wonderful jobs, and are likely to make a career out of what they do. I know I've said this before, but reaching out and talking with other fans are what drives us in the first place. It's a way to get a discussion going with people you wouldn't normally talk with. Again, some people/blogs, aren't worth the time. But when you find a gem, follow their work, and add a comment!
5) What advice would you give to someone starting their own blog?
Be honest, be clear, and be concise. No one wants to read a rant if there is no passion behind it. No one wants to read a blog that is like one long run on sentence. Know what you're talking about and don't be afraid to say what you think. Be funny, everyone loves a laugh. Be smart, the smarter your thoughts, the more educated your argument, the more likely someone will come back for more. Be opinionated. I know what happened in the game last night, I don't need to read your re-cap…I'll go to the teams homepage for that. I want to know what YOU think of that hit, that goal, that save. Tell me something I can't find on the teams’ web-site about last night's match-up, not something I saw while sitting in the stands.
A good blog is harder than it looks. A fellow blogger once told me it takes them 4 approximately hours to write a post. At the time I thought that was crazy. I’ve since learned that not only were they right, but I've often spent WEEKS trying to get something perfect. You definitely need to be passionate about the topic and you must be devoted to your work. A poor effort is obvious to readers. I think most people read something and think, "I can do this" and it's not always that simple. Like I said, there are some awful representations out there, but when you do find one that you enjoy- appreciate the hard work that has gone into making that blog. Leave a comment, link to that blog on your site. The virtual "pat on the back" is encouraging. For many, this is more than a hobby, it's an actual passion.
6) Why do you blog? Is it therapy? A release?
I blog because I love it. It is definitely like therapy. The time it takes to write something about a game is time I cherish at the end of the day. I love the release after a great game, a terrible game, a big hit, a huge save. Having somewhere to go, having something to turn to where I can unload my thoughts in a concise manner. Plus, it's fun to point out the other side sometimes. If I could, I would talk about hockey all day, everyday. I live for this sport. I warn people, don't ask a question if you don't want the whole answer. If you want to know about icing, I'll tell you the rule, I'll explain its purpose, I'll explain the methodology, and how it has changed the game. Then I'll show you an example and give you my opinion. Hockey is a passion of mine, and blogging about it has opened me to a whole new world of fans and experiences that I wouldn’t have been exposed to without my blog.
I've had so many days, sometimes weeks, where I can't put two sentences together. It definitely gets frustrating from time to time, but when that perfect topic hits your brain and is translated perfectly to the web- it's all worth it. I can't say that this is something I will do forever- but as long as I find the challenge and the joy from blogging, I will continue to plaster my thoughts and opinions upon willing readers.
7) Do you have a day job? What are your hobbies outside of your blog?
I do have a day job. It's not perfect, but in this economy, it's a job.
I think it would be obvious, but I watch a lot of hockey. I have season seats for the Anaheim Ducks, and if it's possible, I try to get to games out of town as well. I read - books and blogs. I watch movies, I spend time with friends and my family and I play games. I am diving into photography and I'm finding a whole new world thanks to this crazy social media that I've fallen in love with. I hope to take this writing thing to the next level, somehow, someway.
GO DUCKS!!!
More opinionated than Ryan Getzlaf in the penalty box..

No comments:

Post a Comment