Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Memories of Kevin Malone


Memories of Kevin Malone, originally uploaded by foxsports.
CHAD

Hi Jim,

1) My site was actually started as a bit of a joke. I've been ranting and analyzing the Dodgers for fun to my friends, family, and random individuals on the Internet for a while now, but I guess blogs just started to become mainstream recently, so they suggested that I start my own. It was a lot more raw and awkward at the start, as it was just a site for me to fool around on more than anything else. Surprisingly, people started commenting and reading my opinions, so I was encouraged to keep at it. After enough time and popularity, I decided that I might want to take it slightly more seriously, and that's where I am today.

2) I started off keeping my identity a secret, mainly because I didn't know how people would react if they knew I was dedicating time to this side project. Recently though, i've been getting some attention thrown my way, and it's become impossible to keep it under wraps. So far the reaction has been positive from family and friends, so i'm pleased with how it has gone.




3) A misconception about blogs is that they are not reliable sources of analysis or information. To me, blogs are like any other medium. There are good bloggers and bad bloggers, just like there are good writers and bad writers. It's up to the reader to determine which blogs are worth their attention, and they usually do a pretty good job of figuring it out for themselves. Personally, I rarely turn to mainstream writers for analysis anymore, I go to the blogs I know are quality, because what I find there is usually far more compelling and well written.

4) By far, the biggest stereotype out there is that we are all bitter nerds who have never played sports before. Most of the bloggers that i've come in contact with are normal people with normal jobs/school that have previously done athletics and now write about it as a hobby. I know sportswriters and athletes tend to dismiss bloggers as not knowing much, but the difference in knowledge between the quality blogger and the professional sportswriter is not much. In fact, as far as their ability to analyze sports, I would likely give a considerable edge to my blogging peers. Personally, i'm not different from most regular people who love sports, as I come from an athletic family and an athletic background. I've played multiple sports throughout my high school years and remained active through college, so when I see individuals stereotyping bloggers, I just have to let out a large sigh and roll my eyes at the whole situation.

5) I'd say the biggest thing is to have patience. It takes a while to get recognition and a readership. Don't try to rush it either, as it won't happen overnight. Do it right and you'll be happy with your end product.

6) Blogging is definitely a therapy of sorts. The main tag section of my site is called "The Vent", so there's the evidence of my original motivation right there. Not only that, but I think it provides a way for me to express my opinion to a large amount of people that I wouldn't otherwise be able to reach. I enjoy the discourse and dynamic between myself and my readers, it's fun for me.

7) I'm finishing up school at the moment, so I don't have a real 9-to-5 for now, though at the rate things are going, it looks like I would be out of work regardless of whether I was in school or not. On the side, I coach baseball and enjoy my time with that. Other than sports related stuff, I do pretty much all the normal things a guy in their 20s does, nothing noteworthy there.

Thanks for the opportunity, Jim.

Let me know if you need anything else or when this project goes up.

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment